Saturday, 28 January 2012

Y Cribau - A Short Walk

A little more than two miles long, I took my time with this one.  I had originally planned going up Snowdon, but with the fresh snow and a clear day, I suspected that the higher tops might be plastered with people today (proved correct). I also believed that cloud would come in fairly handy this morning (proved totally wrong).

Instead I aimed for a little-used ridge that runs between Llyn Lockwood and Llyn Edno.  Stunning views, especially of the Snowdon Horseshoe and wonderful solitude were a suitable reward for taking on a much shorter walk.

Pictures below:

 Llyn Gwynant from near the beginning of the walk.  The sun is just coming up and it's still bitterly cold where I'm standing!

A snowy Glyderau Ridge.  No doubt this enjoyed a huge number of visitors today, all trying not to break ankles while rock-hopping!

 Llyn Gwynant from one of the rest stops during the steep pull up from the valley. A mini-inversion layer has formed over the lake.

As I gain height, the full Snowdon Horseshoe comes into sight.  Snowdon itself has thus far hid itself behind Gallt y Wenallt.

Looking into lonely Cwn Edno from Bwlch y Rhediad.  The path leads ultimately to Dolwyddelan, but I'm not going that far today.

A glimpse of snowy Moel Siabod.

 Looking down on Bwlch y Rhediad during another rest stop.

 Snowdon Horseshoe in all its splendour, in these conditions more than a scramble.  The peaks (l-r) are: Y Lliwedd, Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon), Garnedd Ugain and Crib Goch.

At first the rocky bump on the Glyders ridge confused me, then I realised it was the back of Tryfan!

 Zoomed in on the "bump".  If you look carefully, the twin pillars of Adam and Eve can just be seen.

Another look at the Horseshoe from the highest point I reached today (Y Cribau).

Pen y Pass (centre of picture).

With any luck, the novelty of the snow will have worn off by next weekend and, good from my point of view, it should have been tramped down into ice, so better walking and less wading!

Until the next walk, be well all.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. Makes almost wish we were back in Wales again. Then, I think about the British economy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the more reason to come back! We need the money! ;-)

    ReplyDelete